Thursday, March 17, 2022

Cheltenham 2022 – Post-Mortem on Days 1 and 2 and Day 3 Preview

 

 Well Day 1 and Day 2 were disappointing, verging on disastrous for me. Kilcruit got placed in the Supremem as predicted but my major fancy Dysart Dynamo fell – though he was never going to beat Constitution Hill.  Teahupo ran a stinker in the Champion Hurdle, finishing last – trainer blamed the going. The biggest disappointments were Indefatigable, challenging and going well when he fell two out in the Mare’s Hurdle. I’d backed him at 40-1. A bitter pill that. Worse was to follow in the Ballymore next day. I had a series of chunky each way bets on Journey with Me who fell at the last when certain to be placed – but not going to win. I recovered a few bob on Plan of Attack ew at 25-1 in Tiger Roll’s race and got out with a win on the very generously priced Facile Vega in the last. I thought he’d start at odds on but drifted out to 15-8.

 

I’m only going to bet on two races on day three – both staying hurdles. Sire du Berlais (see image abovehas been laid out for the Pertemps final at 2.10 and though carrying top weight he has an amateur jockey claiming seven pounds and should be placed at least. I also like Third Wind at 18-1 in this although his form this year is less than convincing. I’m relying on his previous course form to work the oracle and he’s lightly raced this year.

 

The Stayers Hurdle looks very open and I’m not convinced Floating Porter is a good thing as generally predicted. Klassical Dream could easily come back after his hugely disappointing last run and I will have a saver on him. However I think the best trail was run by Royal Kahala who loves the ground, beat Klassical Dream easily last time out in the Galmoy at Gowran, and gets the seven pounds mare’s allowance. She should surely be placed at least. My only worry is that the great Tom Segal (Pricewise) has tipped her also and so her price will be shorter than I anticipated. She’s around 6-1 at present.