Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Cheltenham 2023 – Day 1 and Day 2 – Ruminations

I normally have strong feelings about the Supreme Novices Hurdle but I confess I am flummoxed by this year’s edition. The favourite Facile Vega ran a stinker last time out and I would prefer one of Mullins’ other runners Il Etait Temps. Marine Nationale has the best form but hasn’t run recently and his speed may be blunted by the forecast soft going. High Definition could be the answer but he fell last time and his jumping is generally sketchy. Staying is always a concern and one horse who will surely stay and is a tried and tested campaigner is Paul Nichols’ Tahmuras. He may have more modest top-grade form but at 11-1 he appeals as a decent e.w. bet. To confuse things even further I had hoped to back de Bromhead’s Inthepocket in the Ballymore and now I find he’s adding to my confusion by turning out here. Another e.w. chance perhaps..  

 

The Ultima offers plenty of decent ew value and I will be looking at two horses with good course form – Happygolucky (14-1) and Corach Rambler (7-1). The former is lightly raced this year and had a prep over a distance way too short. 

 

The Champion Hurdle is not a betting proposition but I’ll be interested to see how close State Man gets to Constitution Hill. 

 

The Mare’s Hurdle is a fascinating race – not least because we get to see how much Honeysuckle has declined. I would love to see her win but will be putting my few bob on Echoes in the Rain – a top flight flat horse with form on soft.

 

The Boodles at 16.50 is a lottery but I may speculate on Bad (9-1) trained by Ben Pauling – excellent French form and a modest weight. His trainer has had a great season and is positive about his chances.

 

I’m a sucker for a Henderson horse and will back Mister Coffey (9-1) in the last on the basis that he will have to stop coming second at some stage.

 

On Day 2 my main interest is in seeing if my only substantial ante-post bet A Dream to Share wins the Champion bumper. She was hugely impressive at Leopardstown – so much so that McManus who owned the second in that race promptly bought her from the Gleeson family.