Thursday, March 16, 2023

Cheltenham 2023 – Day 3 & 4 Ruminations and Day 1 & 2 Triumphs and Regrets

 

I’ve had seven winners so far: two on Day 1 and five on Day 2 but apart from a Dream to Share (4-1) in the Bumper and Langer Dan (10-1) in the Coral Cup my bets were relatively modest. So I am well ahead but could perhaps have been braver. Also, Geri Colombe losing by a short head in the second race cost me close to four figures. However, more importantly, I am well covered for Day 3 with some multiple bets running on to horses tomorrow so I don’t need, for example, to back horses I have in doubles with my darling A Dream to Share.

 

So here goes. I’m a sucker for the big handicap hurdles and will go for two of Henderson’s Walking on Air (9-1) and Mill Green (25-1) in the Pertemps ar 2.10. One of Elliot’s sneakily well handicapped entries could of course do the business – but which one? In the Stayers Hurdle I have been getting promising intelligence for Home by the Lee from the owner (via a mutual friend) and Tom Segal has also tipped him He’s worth an ew nibble but bear in mind he ran a stinker here last year. De Bromhead’s horses have emerged from the doldrums (not a dry eye in the house when Honeysuckle won on that epic Tuesday) and he has multiple runners in the memorial race named after his son Jack. Foxy Girl (9-1) and Magical Zoe )7-1) seem the two best placed to provide the fairy tale result. The Kim Muir is not a reliable betting medium but I like the look of the handily weighed Angels Dawn (15-2) trained by Sam Curling down the road from Ardmayle. He unseated his apprentice jockey when cruising into contention at Punchestown in his last race and he owes me a few bob. His jumping is normally excellent and he stays well.

 

On Day 4 it’s all about the Gold Cup and I am hoping that time has not withered the two De Bromhead horses that have come first and second over the past two years: A Plus Tard (7-1) and Minella Indo (20-1). Having backed both of them on each occasion I will stick with them for surely they will win if I don’t – and I don’t like anything else in the race. My other bet will be on Hiddenvalley Lake (17-2) in the Alfred Bartlett. With four places on offer he is surely a good thing to be placed at least,