Friday, March 18, 2016

Thoughts on Cheltenham Day 4

Day 3: Post Mortem: While not quite a disaster Day 3 was worse than mediocre - a case of getting it slightly wrong and scraping by on my each way bets. In the JLT Garde De Victoire was going well until he landed clumsily three out and went arse over tip. Road to Riches was clearly inferior to Vautour as was Alpha Des Obeaux to Thistlecrack, I had them both each way - I just hate backing short-priced favourites as a general rule and so I often ignore the obvious. I will draw a veil over the Coral Cup although Broxbourne plugged on gamely. It was great to see Colin Murphy win with Empire of Dirt but I didn't trust his jumping and so eschewed a trainer I follow who always means business at Cheltenham.

 

Day 4: I'm getting bored now - I preferred when Cheltenham was just three days. It's hard to sustain the intensity for four days. The Triumph Hurdle is a hard one. but I like Paul Nichols young hurdler so I'll go for Zubayr. In the County Hurdle Wait for Me beckons although I will have a few bob on Cheltenian at a huge price. I will go for another fancied horse in the Alfred Bartlett: Shantou Village. The Gold Cup is best watched but if I bet (as I probably will) it will be Don Cossack. My policy of ignoring Willie Mullins apart from Vroum Vroum Mag has to be sustained. All his horses were at false prices - except Vautour (a bargain at evens) who it was claimed was below par.